CKs Book Reads

I like turtles and I have concerns.  Also books.

White Horse

White Horse: A Novel - Alex Adams I would describe this book as the Prequel to Oryx and Crake meets The Road. I read Oryx and Crake and loved it but I couldn't get past the first couple of pages of The Road. This book has an interesting layout, each chapter is divided into Then and Now - 2 different points of view of the same character. I read the first couple of chapters in full, but what sucked me in was Then, specifically the jar. And so I continued reading only those parts and then the last couple of paragraphs that wrapped up the story. I really really enjoyed the 13 months of how we got to now.About halfway through this book I said to someone, "I love this story so much I can't wait for it to be over." They thought this was the weirdest thing to say about a book I was enjoying, but after having read several trilogy-turned-series I'm always looking for a great book that just ends at the end. And that is ultimately what I meant. I love that feeling you get when you've finished a truly great book and you just sit there and savour the moment. For sure you're sad the time has come to an end, but also there is a great satisfaction in having that closure. Why did I only give this book 3 stars in the end? This book ultimately let me down in the last third, but I concede it was my own fault as I was not reading the Now portions I missed a major plot point that was contrary to where I expected the story to go. I'd set my expectations too specific, too high, too soon.I definitely recommend this to anyone who enjoys post apocalyptic stories. The writing is quite brilliant.

Naked Lunch
The Blondes
Emily Schultz
The Son
Philipp Meyer
The Iceberg Express (Dodo Press)
David Cory